Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 09:41:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Trenton Schulz <twschulz@gloria.cord.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   trouble booting

My recent CVSUP from 3/9 on seems to give me trouble when I'm booting.  My
computer's hard disk has two partitions one for DOS and one for FreeBSD.
The Make World and re-making the kernel go alright, but when I boot, the
kernel tells me it is switching the root device to wd0s3a.  At this point
it seems to fsck the disks but then gives the message that the "filesystem
failed to mount" and puts me in single user mode with a read-only root
filesystem.  Luckily the previous kernel still boots correctly.  This
allowed the correct specification of devices is fstab, (wd0s2a for root
device, wd0s3a causing the system to not do anything) but when I reboot
the machine it still gives me the same error about the filesystem failing.
When I try to remount root it tells me that wd0s2a doesn't match mounted
device, but yet if I mount wd0s2a on /mnt, it _is_ the root partition.  I
thought a new make world and kernel would solve this problem, but it
hasn't.  I'm sorry for being so ignorant on what to do, but could someone
please help me get my system to boot on something besides an old kernel?

Trenton Schulz
twschulz@cord.edu