Date:      Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:06:09 -0600
From:      James McNaughton <jtm63@enteract.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound problem on RELENG_3 machine

The problem:

Some wav audio files no longer play on my machine.

Recent actions:

I recently had to rebuild my file system and restore everything from
backups. For good measure, I cvsupped and remade world about two days
ago. The specific files I noticed not playing or producing only hiss
are the system sounds from KDE 1.1.2. I tried the files from my backup
and from the tar file in /usr/ports/distfiles which is still there from
the day I installed KDE with the same result. CD's play just fine and
some other wav files also play.

The Platform:

FreeBSD jamestown.enteract.com 3.5-STABLE FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE #46: Wed
Nov   1 06:13:41 CST 2000
root@jamestown.enteract.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/JAMESTOWN  i386

Partial dmesg output...

sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sbxvi0 at drq 5 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.16>
sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
snd0: <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
snd0: <Yamaha OPL3 FM>
awe0 at 0x620 on isa
awe0: <SoundBlaster EMU8000 MIDI (RAM0k)>

Question:

Has anyone else had this problem? I read in this list that someone
reported problems with recording audio. I haven't tried that.

TIA,

Jim