Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 03:50:52 +1100
From:      "Michael Vince" <michael@oztechnews.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Missing Compaq 12/24GB DDS3 DAT Tape Drive

I have done a new install of freebsd 4.1.1 on a compaq proliat 360, check
the url here if you need details.
http://www5.compaq.com/products/servers/proliantdl360/index.html
It has a compaq scsi smartstart raid controller card in it.
http://www.compaq.com/smartstart.html
The thing about this card is that it has some kind of special rom driver or
something where you boot from a special compaq CD and choose what OS you
want to optimize the scsi array raid card for, as you could guess its got
just about everything but FreeBSD, I choose Unixware because I was told I
must choose something if I want to be able to put the freebsd cd in and boot
to start the install. Its in LINT the scsi card is called.
device          ida             # Compaq Smart RAID

The whole install went fine and installed freebsd on a hard drive of this
card (ID0), but I also have a compaq 12/24GB DDS3 DAT Drive(ID6) which I
read in another post is a re-badged Sony SDT 9000, its detected in the
compaq CD scsi card boot software but it doesn't come up at all in anyway in
dmesg, unlike the scsi card and hard drive which does show up in dmesg, I
want to confirm that I am supposed to see a sign of the tape drive in dmesg
(/dev/sa?)
And if any one knows why I cant bring this tape device up?

Thanks