Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 22:51:42 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mbone w/o mbone connection

> > > I was giving this a little more thought today.  There is something
> > > that can gateway RTP packets between the mbone and a station without
> > > doing all the multicast routing.
> > >
> > > What you are looking for is vgw which is an RTP gateway program.  I
> > > beleive it is still in Alpha stage, but you might find it useful.
> > > See: ftp://daedalus.cs.berkeley.edu/pub/vgw/
> > >
> > > 	-Jim
> >
> > Actually, if he has mbone capability at his site then I don't see why
> > he can't establish a tunnel to his home box....
>
> This seems evident. Jims suggestion can be thought to be an
> alternative to bypass the MBONE structure.

Jim's suggestion shall be the last resort. We have to watch it with
video traffic. The mbone structure is a great mechanism to control
traffic flow now if go around doing high speed video point to point
you can kiss the internet good bye.

Now I see things like vgw useful to connect end-leaf nodes like from
an ISP to a (cough) Win95 box or to a (Amancio about to pass out now)
to a Win95 Lan...

	Enjoy,
	Amancio