Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 16:03:31 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Marco Masotti <masotti@mclink.it>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime() went backwards

On Mon, 21 May 2001 19:29:23 +0200  Marco Masotti wrote:
 +------------------

 | Hello,
 |
 | from time to time my system hangs blankly, along with messases in the
 | console, as  shown below in a very rapid succession:
 |
 | microuptime() went backwards (695.985643 -> 694.990191)
 | calcru: negative time of 517901893 usec for pid 332
 |

 | FrebBSD is 4.2, wit a SMP configured kernel, Abit BP6 2xCeleron@550
 |
 | It happens not very frequently but I would like like what strange sort
 | of problem is all about.
 |
 | Thanks, Marco
 +------------------

Did you look at the manual page?

    DIAGNOSTICS
	 Buggy hardware can cause "calcru negative..." when kern.time-
	 counter.method is set to 0.

I'm guessing that overclocking is pushing the edges of some timers
on the motherboard thus exercizing the "buggy hardware" clause.
Set kern.timecounter.method as described in the manual and see if
it stabalizes.

--
    Chris Fedde