Date:      Tue, 1 Jan 2002 09:55:49 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Erich Zigler <erichz@superhero.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No picture with FXTV and NViDIA

Erich Zigler:
 |Im having some trouble with FXTV and my Nvidia RIVA TNT2 video card. When I
 |start FXTV I get audio but no picture with FXTV. The picture is completely
 |black. With my S3 ViRGE card I get visual, and audio.
 |
 |I was wondering if anyone else has had these problems before and what they
 |did to fix them.

Ok, well on the TNT2, I'll bet you can get a picture using
'fxtv -disableDirectV'.  What XFree86 version are you running?  And are you
running NVidia drivers with that?

Chances are DGA isn't quite happy with your X/driver setup on a TNT2.  The
above command disables DGA mode and uses XImages mode.  Check your "startx
-- -probeonly output and see what it says about DGA.  What do you have in
your XF86Config related to DGA?  Also, try "fxtv -debug startup".

FWIW, Matt Reimer reportedly had fxtv working fine on a TNT2 with XFree86
4.0.2 earlier this (err...) last year.  Years ago, Amacio had DGA working
fine on a TNT2 with 3.9.16 using:

     Section "Device"
           Identifier "tnt2"
           Driver     "nv"