Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:19:15 +0200
From:      Maxime Henrion <mhenrion@cybercable.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   config and config -r

    Hello,

    I think the config program used to compile a kernel lacks some
documentation because there are several points that remain unclear to
me, even after reading the man page. I had several bad surprises with it
! :-)
    As I didn't want to recompile the whole stuff, I used a config and
not a config -r to build a new kernel, after having changed its
configuration. I removed several devices and I thought that won't cause
any problem, as the objects files for these devices won't be linked into
the kernel.
    But after rebooting on this new kernel, I had a page fault before
any kernel message :/ Is there anything to check in order to know if I
can use a config instead of a config -r ? If using a config without the
-r option is dangerous, I think it shouldn't be the default. Is it the
case ?

Regards,

    -Maxime Henrion