Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:38:18 -0400
From:      Brian Jackson <bjackson@conversent.com>
To:        "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xterm-color (again!)

Michael A. Smith wrote:

<snip>

> I've tweaked the $TERM value on a workstation to "xterm-color" --
> nothing happens. TERM is set to xterm-color on my servers, but no
> color there either.

After I saw this earlier in the week (late last week?) I decided to give
it a go.  Here's what I did:

in my .cshrc I added :

alias ll        ls -GlA

I use Putty for my ssh client and added the following under Connection /
Terminal-type string:

xterm-color

and everything works fine.... the server I'm connecting to is running
4.6-RELEASE #1, is headless with no X-Windows installed..

> Any clues? I'd LOVE to get this working.
>
> Thanks!

Well, that's all I did to get it working.... Check capitalization of 'G'
if you've aliased your ls commands, make sure when you're logged in that
your term type is correct (i.e.; echo $TERM).

Brian

--
b.k.jackson@verizon.net