Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 19:59:32 -0700
From:      Chris Tubutis <chris@tci.com>
To:        "Aaron D. Gifford" <adg@infowest.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why won\'t TAR cooperate\?

"Aaron D. Gifford" wrote:

> >> Okay, call me a nutcase, but I can't figure out why TAR always bails out
> >> at exactly 255328256 bytes written of a huge 4GB file I'm trying to dump
> >> to tape.  At first, it would quit with an error so I downloaded the latest
> >> GNU tar from GNU's FTP site, installed and compiled it.  It too bails out
> >> at the same spot, but without an error.
> >>
> >> Any ideas anyone?
> >>

> To which Roman Katsnelson <rkatsnel@globix.com> replied:
> >hi nutcase,
> >
> >can the tape be out of space at that point?
> >
> >hth,
> >roman
> >

> I wish that were the case, but this is a new DLTtapeIV with a capacity of
> 35GB uncompressed or 70GB compressed on the DLT7000 drive.  A paltry
> 4GB file should easily fit.
>
> That said, could this be a case of tar for some reason thinking the
> tape was full?  How would I find out if this is the case?  How would I
> tell tar that the tape's capacity is MUCH greater than the 250MB by
> a factor of 100 or more?
>
> Ideas and suggestions welcome!

I'd next try writing it to tape with something other than tar - e.g.
ufsdump.  If *that* still fails, I'd then want to try it with a new version
of this file - maybe even just copying it to another file system and try
running *that* to tape.  Computers sometimes do just plain weird things,
and just because the problem is manifesting itself at the tape drive doesn't
necessarily mean the root of it lies there.

chris