Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 09:24:45 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Keith Leonard <keithl@gil.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp problem

> The first is a startup file (called ipu) which dials the number and connects
> me to my server. You will recognize it as a part of the script file from
> the FreeBSD handbook (which wouldn't work for me as printed) - the rest
> from various files I have seen in the past.
>
> #!/bin/sh
> ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep
> PID=`ps ax | grep pppd | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'`
>
> if [ "$PID" = "" ]
> then
> 	pppd connect 'chat -v "" ATDT*server number here* CONNECT ""\
> 	Name: *login name here* Password: *password here*' \
> 		/dev/cuaa0 19200 :*my servers IP address here*
> fi

IMHO, both this script and the below script are *much* too obnoxious,
but mine aren't much better.  However, if you are trying to get
dial-on-demand ppp you should be looking into 'ppp' instead of using
'pppd'.  It may already do what you are trying to do.  Take a look at
it's man page.

> One problem - when I login to check mail or use lynx my screen goes into
> reverse video - I don't like - any suggestions????

Your terminal type isn't setup correctly.  Is the terminal type set at
login time the same as what you are using?

Nate