Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 18:41:19 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When login class?

> Am I correct in believing that the current login class concept was
> introduced in 4.4BSD?  Otherwise, where did it come from?

The class field was introduced in 4.4, but the code that uses it
was not.  My pet theory is that the CSRG folks intended to do it,
but had to spend the time replacing the damned-by-USL kernel pieces
instead.

The login.conf stuff was introduced in BSDI.

The FreeBSD stuff is based on the BSDI man pages (published information)
about the BSDI implementation.

The biggest win (IMO) from login.conf is the ability to use things
like SecureCard interfaces and retinal scanners, etc..

Of course, that's not implemented in FreeBSD; only the annoying
resource restriction stuff.  ;-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---