Date:      Wed, 01 Oct 2003 14:22:48 -0400
From:      Fish <fish@fish-mail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Is My DVD Drive Failing, or Have I Mangled Something?

I'm running -CURRENT on a Dell Inspiron 8200, and have been for over a
year now.  Relatively recently (in the last few months) I've started
having problems with the DVD drive in that I will sometimes have to
remove/reinsert a disk, data, video, or audio, before it will read.
Until very recently (the last few weeks) it would eventually read the
disk though, and all was golden.  Now, I will very rarely get it to read
the TOC on an audio CD, but it will never rip, and I can't mount a data
disk.  When I try to pitch in an audio CD and access it, this is what I
get...

bash-2.05b$ cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 info
cdcontrol: getting toc header: Input/output error
bash-2.05b$ cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 status
No current status info available
No media catalog info available
Left volume = 255, right volume = 255
bash-2.05b$ ls -al /dev/acd0
crw-r--r--  1 root  operator  117,   0 Oct  1 08:49 /dev/acd0
su-2.05b# mount /cdrom/
cd9660: /dev/acd0: Input/output error

Dmesg information might be of some help here...

bash-2.05b$ dmesg -a | grep acd
acd0: DVDROM <TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502> at ata0-slave UDMA33
acd0: FAILURE - TEST_UNIT_READY status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
sensekey=MEDIUM ERROR error=0

The last line repeats many, many times.

Does anyone know of any tests I can run, or any way I can work around
this to determine if the drive has started failing, or if I've run into
a legitimate bug in -CURRENT?  I'm mailing here first because I'm not
necessarily convinced this isn't a hardware issue yet.  I can't install
any other OS onto the system for testing either, unfortunately, as I'm a
bit shy on hard disk space without any available spare drives.

Please CC me on any responses, as I'm not subscribed to this particular
list.

Thanks very much,

Fish