Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:55:54 +0100
From:      Adriaan de Groot <adridg@cs.kun.nl>
To:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   bootstrapping

So, while I'm waiting for my K8V to be RMA'ed, I'm thinking about how to go
about integrating this amd64 box into my network and getting it running. I
gather there's no really working cvsup, and David's snapshot build from way
back is (a) from wayback (b) unstable under load.

I've got several running systems, both -STABLE and -CURRENT, with cvsupped
/usr/src's. The /usr/src's are NFS exported, and I've got a spare cheap-ass
NIC (yes, an RTL 8029). Supposing I boot a 4-STABLE drive with rl(4) in place
in an amd64 box - what do I need to do to get it up to speed (heck, let's
make it a 5-CURRENT drive, since we've got the 4-to-5 upgrade otherwise as
well).

- do I need to cvsup anything special? extra branches? are all the sources for
all the architectures normally in a /usr/src/sys?

- does X "just build" then?

Getting all this (and the machine) together ought to take me a while, and I
promise to be quite while that happens :)

[ade]