Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 23:30:54 GMT
From:      "James" <daemus@oregonfast.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   bridge/routing table question

I need to put a FreeBSD box in between a /24 network, and a router, in order
to do bandwidth shaping. I also need this box to have an IP address from the
same /24 network that is behind it. The router will also need an IP address
from this /24 network.

I'm using FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE (as of Feb. 28), and two Intel Pro 100B NICs.

How do I go about setting up the routing table on the FreeBSD box? If I set
an IP address on router-side NIC, FreeBSD will (rightfully) think that the
rest of the /24 network can be reached through this NIC. If I set an IP
address on the network-side NIC, FreeBSD will (rightfully) think that the
router can be reached through this NIC. Can someone recommend how I could
accomplish this? I'm not opposed to assigning IP addresses to both NICs..
but I am opposed to reconfiguring the router or any of the hosts on the
network.

Ideas? Questions? Comments?