Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:31:42 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>, Matthew Rezny <mrezny@hexaneinc.com>, Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/156405: x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati driver: no hardware rendering

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Thomas Mueller
<mueller6724@bellsouth.net>wrote:

> From my previous post and Niclas Zeising's response:
>
> > > I had this type of problem with NetBSD 5.1_STABLE and 5.99.x even with
> native X that is part of the base system, as opposed to pkgsrc X.
> > I can't comment on how NetBSD does things, since I haven't used it.
>
> You aren't missing anything, judging from my experience.  FreeBSD is
> decidedly more advanced.
>
> > > I could return to a text console in the dark and type "shutdown -r
> now" or even type the command to go back into X, successfully.
> > In general, this can work.  It did last time I tested, but that was some
> > time ago so things might have changed.
>
> When I tried with new Xorg and KMS in 9-STABLE, my system froze
> immediately, not just the console.  I finally managed to downgrade to the
> old Xorg after considerable difficulty.
>
> I'd like to try again on a new computer, with FreeBSD-current/HEAD (10.0
> is in the not-so-distant future?).
>
> With 3 TB hard drive and GPT, I have plenty of space and partitions to
> experiment, and probably less hazardous than the stablest versions of
> NetBSD.
>
> > > With serial ports becoming obsolete, what can one use for or in place
> of a serial console?
>
> > FireWire.  I haven't tested myself, but have a look at
> >
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-dcons.html
> > for instructions on how to use FireWire as a console.
>
> This still leaves the question of how to set it up in terms of hardware.
>  I don't think there are any FireWire consoles.
>
> Would I plug anything into the motherboard's FireWire port?  I just
> thought of FireWire-to-HDMI cable but haven't looked to see if these exist.
>
> > > Would it work to have two xorg.conf files, one with Intel driver and
> the other with vesa?  Then could you go back to a working console when
> using the vesa driver?
> > Once you've loaded the KMS awawre kernel module, there is no way to get
> > the console back short of a reboot of the system.
>
> But would starting X with vesa driver load the KMS awawre kernel module?
>
> What about "xorg -configure" which I might want to do the first time?
>
> > > I've wondered (call it X acrobatics) how to switch between root and
> nonroot, and between window managers, without going back to text console.
> > You could try some sort of desktop manager, such as gdm or kdm.  I've
> > not used them on FreeBSD, but on linux they make it possible to have
> > several users logged into X at once, and switching window manager, and
> > so on.  As for root, it is generally considered a bad idea to run X as
> > root.  If it's just a root terminal you need, you can always open an
> > xterm (or your favorite terminal emulator) and use su or sudo.
> > Regards!
> > --
> > Niclas Zeising
>
> On Linux (Slackware) I was only able to have one user at a time using xdm.
>
> But I remember one menu item in KDE was konsole as root user (konsole is
> [...]
either add the KMS driver to loader.conf or to load it manually after
booting. The result will be an immediate system lockup. Actually, I suspect
the system is not frozen, but the display is frozen and nothing will accept
keyboard or mouse input, so it looks frozen.

Starting X will load the driver at the proper time so that X can takeover
the display, keyboard, and mouse properly.

I might also note that Intel KMS requires: WITH_NEW_XORG, WITH_KMS, and the
build of graphics/libdrm with the KMS config option enabled.

If I sent this to you in the past, sorry. I have posted this information a
few times and it may or may not make a difference for you.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com