Date:      Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:26:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re(2): Using rfork() / threads

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:
> The Vahalia book mentions shared memory locks for 4.4BSD that worked
> essentially the same way.  They were named mset, mwait, or something like
> that.

yeah, but recall that I did this stuff 9/94. mset etc. were not around
then, and appear to still not be.

> Fastlock sounds cool, but shared memory locks are supposed to be fast.
It's a bit more complex than shared memory locks. The problem is making
shared memory locks between heavyweight processes that are efficient and
in particular never do a system call unless needed.

> I prefer the mxxx conventions to categorize it with the
> mmap calls.

works for me.

this lock question keeps coming up. I have some old messages that
describe the operation of fastlock that I will forward to this list. The
experience of the last 2.5 years leads me to believe fastlock will be in
openbsd much sooner than freebsd (chuck cranor pointed out to me
yesterday that minherit() is in openbsd now ...) assuming it ever gets
into freebsd ...

ron