Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 22:52:53 -0500
From:      daniel <danstemporaryaccount@yahoo.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cracked out floppy install

On February 7, 2005 10:40 pm, Chris Hill wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, daniel wrote:
> > i've been trying to install freebsd-5.3RELEASE on this old computer on
> > and off for days now.  i downloaded the floppies, watched the thing
> > boot and each and every time, it'll get to the little beastie prompt
> > where it counts down and is *supposed* to run sysinst but instead, it
> > just reboots!
>
> That's just peculiar. Maybe you need more RAM? Couldn't hurt, anyway.
> The 16M you cite below seems a bit meager.

well the handbook says freebsd5 has a minimum requirement of 8mb, so 16 should
be fine.  but even if it weren't, you'd think there'd be some form of useful
error message instead of just rebooting.  it just makes no sense.

> I've found that *many* - maybe even most - floppies are bad out of the
> box. I buy the 25- or 50-pack, and churn through until I find two good
> ones. Sometimes it takes a while.

how can i tell what makes a good one then?  i just can't go through 50 disks
hoping to get one right.   i haven't received any errors, so i'm working
under the assumption that they work.

> Other than the RAM, this should be fine as long as you don't plan on
> storing much data. I'd use this machine as a home gateway/firewall/NAT
> box.

the plan at the moment is experimentation and maybe dns for one domain or
something.  i just need it to install first and guessing with 50 floppies
seems a bit nuts.

--
what the scientists have in their briefcases is terrifying.
  - nikita khrushchev