Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 1996 15:17:35 -0600 (CST)
From:      Neal Rigney <neal@pernet.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        john@starfire.mn.org, hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPP/LCP sensing getty

On Mon, 11 Nov 1996, Joe Greco wrote:

> > I have created a version of getty that watches for the first four
> > bytes of the LCP leader and exec's pppd (-detach auth) if it sees
> > it.  This allows dialup PPP access to FreeBSD boxes from other
> > FreeBSD boxes, Windows 3.1, Windows NT, Windows 95, and MAC's
> > without having to go through the pain of login scripting.  I'd like
> > to make this generally available, but am not sure how best to do
> > so.
>
> Already been done.  I did this six months ago...  I haven't checked
> to see if anyone actually did anything with my patches though.
>
> ... JG

I tried using the patches, but they have one small problem.  My modems
stupidly send a connect message in a way that getty sees as a username.
So it sits at Password: waiting for test, but only getting LCP.  The other
times I got it to work(with different modems), it worked like a charm.

--
Neal Rigney, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
neal@mail.pernet.net