Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 23:04:57 -0500
From:      Jerry Kelley <jerryk@iquest.net>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   sendmail on a firewall box

This is probably a loaded question and I'd bet that I'll get responses
on both sides but I'm going to ask this question anyway:

  1) is it a major security hole to run sendmail on a firewall box?

Okay, there, I said it. In the economy of a small business, it is not
always practical to have several servers providing services such as
firewalling and mail hosting. So, for my business, I want to set up a
FreeBSD box to act as the Internet access point and provide things like
DNS, mail hosting, NTP, and firewalling. I really don't have the dollars
to build a separate box for the firewall although I know that security
purists will frown and make some comments that security isn't cheap
anyway.

I just want one box that provides the services to my small LAN. I want
that box to be the mail host for my company and also provide a
firewall/proxy service.

Am I asking for too much?

Jerry Kelley
jerryk@iquest.net
"Expectations are life's greatest dangers."