Date:      Thu, 18 May 2000 02:33:34 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        Robert Small <rsmall@pwahec.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guidance with Sendmail or Qmail

> > Anyways, I've regerested my domain today, and I was wondering if someone
> > could
> > point me in the right direction for setting up mail, either Sendmail or
> > Qmail.

> I'd suggest sendmail as far as ease-of-setup goes. You could use

Well it's a matter of opinion, but I found sendmail a royal pain to
configure if you want anything different from the default
configuration -- eg if you want to send everything through your ISP's
mail relay upstream, rather than directly to the recipient hosts.
It's claimed that the m4 files make it easier, but I just couldn't
seem to generate a sendmail.cf from them that did what I wanted it to
do.

On the other hand qmail is very easy to configure (just change a few
control files in /var/qmail/control and give qmail-send a HUP signal)
and is *very* well documented.  There's a walk-through for the install
with which you shouldn't have any problems, and a FAQ which should
answer almost any commonly asked question. Once you compile and
install it you shouldn't ever need to recompile it, you can control
its behaviour pretty thoroughly at runtime.

Rahul.