Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:58:16 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <Greg.Lehey@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sean Farley <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
Cc:        LinuxSA <linuxsa@linuxsa.org.au>
Subject:   What mouse? (was: Samsung Cordless Mouse)

--K9fy5ol1Oes4Q/ix

On Tuesday, 17 August 2004 at 11:13:17 -0500, Sean Farley wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
>> This mouse has five buttons: the normal three on top, and one on each
>> side.  I can't find a way to get the side buttons to work, and looking
>> on the web hasn't shown anything of interest.
>
> I assume you mean in X as opposed to moused although moused appears to
> support at least five buttons according to its man page.

No, this is with moused.  It still needs to initialize the mouse.

> This may help with your X issues:
> http://www.xfree86.org/current/mouse5.html#22

Yes, been through all of that and more.  Nothing worked.

In the meantime I've connected it up anyway as a 3 button mouse and
decided I really don't like it; the buttons are far too heavy in their
action, and it's difficult to move it sideways without pressing one of
the side buttons.  So this is not much of an issue any more.

Can anybody recommend a good mouse?  My criteria are:

- Middle button easy to use.  The current crop of mice has the middle
  button integrated with the roller, and that makes the middle button
  either heavy or easy to confuse with the roller.
- Preferably cordless.  Cord mice tend to wander a little when you let
  go of them, and that's a real nuisance on a high-resolution display.

Greg
Note: I discard all HTML mail unseen.
Finger Greg.Lehey@FreeBSD.org for PGP public key.

--K9fy5ol1Oes4Q/ix