Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 21:54:46 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Chris Pearce <ferox@paradise.net.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, dunlug@lists.ethernal.org
Subject:   Re: Is ADSL modem + NAT the same as an ADSL Router?

Chris Pearce writes:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm setting up a network to share an ADSL connection,
> and I'm wondering about the difference between a regular
> ADSL modem and an ADSL router.

I personally use a router because I'm too lazy to set up ppp and
the firewall rules for myself. However, a friend is using a FreeBSD
box with ppp -nat and just a modem (which I set up, go figure) and it
works just fine. There's really no reason to buy a router if you have
a FreeBSD box with 2 NICs.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org