Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:27:38 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: recommended book/guide for /bin/sh shell programming

--ijywFOGgtBfiIjQx

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 05:21:16PM -0400, Dave [Hawk-Systems] wrote:
>=20
> As such, am looking for recommendations for a good guide/book or two for =
shell
> programming, but most of the books seem to be specific to bash, tcsh, ksh,
> etc... Given that there is a seperate bash shell port available, I would =
assume
> that /bin/sh !=3D bash.  I would prefer to use plain ol /bin/sh since mos=
t of the
> core scripts scattered through the stable installs we have use it.

Bash is certainly different, although it's a superset, so any sh scripts th=
at
you write should also work in bash.

> Sugestions? Amazon links?

My favourite one that covers most of the common shells is "Unix Shell
Programming" by Stephen Kochan and Patrick Wood.  I have the first edition
which is from 1989, although there is a new edition released in March 2003
with ISBN 0672324903.  I don't know that it's any good, but the first editi=
on
is great for beginners and I can't see any reason why the later edition wou=
ld
be any different.  amazon.co.uk have both editions.

Ceri
--=20
User: DO YOU ACCEPT JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR PERSONAL LORD AND SAVIOR?
Iniaes: Sure, I can accept all forms of payment.
                                           -- www.chatterboxchallenge.com

--ijywFOGgtBfiIjQx

--ijywFOGgtBfiIjQx--