Date:      Tue, 29 May 2001 12:44:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vince Valenti <vince@blue-box.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Large Hard Drive Trouble

Hello everybody,

I just purchased a Maxtor 45GB hard drive to stick in one of my FreeBSD
boxes.  It is an older motherboard, an Abit TX5 with the latest BIOS
revision.  When I originally installed the drive, the computer would hang
when trying to detect the hard drive.  I then installed the Cylinder
Limitation Jumper and it booted fine, but the BIOS only detects the drive
as a 32GB drive.  I disabled the drive in the BIOS, and booted to FreeBSD.
This is what gets reported by the kernel:

ad2: 32253MB <Maxtor 54610H6> [65531/16/63] at ata1-master UDMA33

What I'm wondering is, is it possible to use the entire capacity of the
drive, or am I limited to 32GB?  If it is possible, what do I need to do?

I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,

--
Vince Valenti