Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 09:18:43 -0400
From:      Ian Cartwright <ICartwright@IT.RJF.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Script help

Hi!

I need a little help with a simple script. I come from the MS-DOS word, so I
constructed this script like a batch file, but as soon as it executes the
first command it stops... If some kind soul would point me in the right
direction, I would appreciate it. None the shell scripting tutorials I have
found on the Web appear to cover what I am trying to do...

Here's the script:

#!/bin/sh

# -*- sh -*-

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin; export PATH

#  This is the backup script that backs up the entire
#  server to tape every night...

#erase the tape
echo "Erasing the tape..."$n
exec /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rsa0 erase 0

#turn compression on
exec /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rsa0 comp on

#backup the root filesystem
echo "Backing up /"$n
exec /sbin/dump -0 -a -u -b 1000 -f /dev/nrsa0 /

#backup the var filesystem
echo "Backing up /var"$n
exec /sbin/dump -0 -a -u -b 1000 -f /dev/nrsa0 /var

#backup the usr filesystem
echo "Backing up /usr"$n
#exec /sbin/dump -0 -a -u -b 1000 -f /dev/nrsa0 /usr

#rewind the tape
exec /usr/bin/mt -f /dev/rsa0 rewind

#eject the tape
echo "Ejecting tape..."$n