Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 11:41:24 -0700
From:      David Greenman-Lawrence <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        jamie@tridentmicrosystems.co.uk, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Broadcom BCM5701 Chipset problems

>David Greenman-Lawrence wrote:
>> >If you aren't using VLAN tagging, you shouldn't care.
>>
>>    No, that is absolutely not correct. The checksum problems happend in many
>> situations, depending on the chipset and other factors. The problem that
>> resulted in the commit to disable the receive hardware checksum was caused
>> by small packets with certain byte patterns, NOT VLAN ENCAPSULATION.
>
>Are you sure you are talking about the Tigon III, and not the Tigon II?

   Yes, of course. I'm talking specifically about the Broadcom BCM570x. My
particular experiance was with the Syskonnect 9D21 and 9D41 boards which
both use the Altima chip.

-DG

David Greenman-Lawrence
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
President, Download Technologies, Inc. - http://www.downloadtech.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.