Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 22:53:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Branson Matheson <branson@widomaker.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5 Failure

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, Branson Matheson wrote:

>  Well I "upgraded" my machine last night here at work and had LOTS of
>  problems. Here is the list:
>
>   1) the upgrade said it was gonna copy the old files into
>   /scratch/etc ( where I wanted them ) but after it finished, I found
>   that the only files there were the new ones :-(. Good thing I did
>   not trust the installtion and stored them elsewhere.

It's a sysconfig bug (or feature?).  It happened to me too.

>   2) Big Problem with the ep driver. I have been running this system
>   solidly for some time now. After the upgrade, whenever I am using
>   the epdriver, the number of socknames and headers and data steadily
>   increases until all network traffic ceases on the device and finally
>   I start to get errors like this:

The ep driver is acknowledged to be problematic.  2.1.5 was re-released to
repair this bug, so if you grabbed your copy just after it was put up on
ftp.freebsd.org I'd try re-getting the kernel sources and recompiling.

>   3) mountd hangs at startup. I did a ktrace of mountd and it seems to
>   hang right as it reads resolv.conf. I read in todays mail about the
>   issue of having non locally resolvable hostnames in /etc/resolv.conf
>   ( Ie. ones normally resolved over the network ) and I will add them
>   to the /etc/hosts file and fix /etc/hosts.conf to check that first
>   and see if that solves the problem.

That usually does it.

>   I am rather frustrated and I have to have this machine working, so I
>   am downgrading back to 2.1 until this issue is resolved. If anyone
>   has any idears or suggestions, let me know.

I don't quite know what to make of the ep problems other than not using a
3com adapter until the problem is fixed.