Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2018 16:46:50 -0600
From:      Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
To:        xi@borderworlds.dk
Cc:        virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyveload and lua loader on 12.0-RELEASE

On Sat, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:36 PM Christian St=C3=A6rk <xi@borderworlds.dk> wr=
ote:

> Hello,
>
> If I understand correctly, FreeBSD 12.0-RELEASE is using lua in the
> loader instead of forth, right?

Correct!

> I would like to know how that affects bhyve instances using bhyveload.
>
> Will bhyve 11.2 guests work on a 12.0 host?

Should, yes.

> Will bhyve 12.0 guests work on a 11.2 host?

Should, yes.

We designed the head bits such that forth and lua coexist, while lua
is the default -- including for userboot. bhyveload on 12.0 will
attempt to load the guest and switch userboot if it needs to based on
the guest /boot/loader. bhyveload on 11.2 will only do forth, but that
should 'just work' because all of the forth-bits are still in /boot.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans