Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 13:48:20 EST
From:      GarHrumble@aol.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   problem installing from a DOS partition

Is there any information available for installing from a DOS partition beyond
what is in the handbook?  I have followed the instructions precisely (I think)
but the I get an error message that the bin directory could not be found.

I have a 2 gig hard drive, which came with windows95.  Recently, I upgraded to
windows98.  I partitioned off part of the disk using the FIPS utility and I
created a bootable floppy.  This seems to have worked OK.  FreeBSD boots from
the floppy fine, and it recognizes I have two partitions, the latter of which
I specified as a unix slice (leaving the lower partition for DOS/windows).  I
let the installation program set up the filesystem, and it went through the
motions of setting everything up, but when it tried to install a minimal
distribution, which I had FTP'd into the "c:\freebsd" directory (I downloaded
the 'bin' and 'manpages' directories), it said it could not find the bin
directory (I did this several times, making sure I specified installation from
a DOS partition).

Is there something else I need to do?  Or is FreeBSD not recognizing my DOS
partition after all?

Stan Kinderknecht