Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 20:57:29 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to reset an fxp ethernet interface

At 05:48 PM 4/22/98 -0700, Doug White wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Mike D Tancsa wrote:

<Stuff about unplugging cable, plugging it back in and doing ifconfig down
and up and ifconfig inet 192.168.201.1  netmask 255.255.255.0 media
100basetx mediaopt full-duplex deleted>

>Thoughts:
>
>1.  The cable makes all the difference in 100mbit.  Crappy cable gets you
>crappy performance.  Also, bad cabling can trick the hub into downing you
>to 10mbit (where 926k/s would be a great xfer rate).
>
>2.  Try forcing the port speed in the hub.  Autodetection is still pretty
>new and isn't fully reliable.

Hi Doug,
	Thanks for replying.  The Hub is permanently set to 100BT Full duplex via
dip switch.  However, it is quite possible that it is infact 'downgrading'
me to 10BaseT without me knowing it, although the LEDs would *seem* to
indicate otherwise.  The swithcing HUB is an Addtron.  Perhaps when the
budget permits, we will invest in a better one with monitoring
capabilities, but for now I am stuck with it :-(

The odd thing about the cable though is that once I reboot the FreeBSD box
with the second cable, I am back to my good fast throughput without any
interface errors on 200Mbytes of transfer.  Then, again when I pull the
cable out and plug back in the other, I am back to the same problem of
slower throughput.  The more I think about it, the more it feels like its
the HUB trying to 'compensate', but alas, I cannot control that variable :(

Is there anyway to get more stats out of the interface on the FreeBSD end
of things that you or anyone knows of ?

	---Mike