Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 09:44:28 +0200
From:      erakupa@kk.etx.ericsson.se (ETX-B-SL Martti Kuparinen)
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: invalid password in single-user mode

Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> > What's wrong with my 2.2.6-RELEASE machine? In the multi-user
> > mode I can login as root, but the root password is not accepted in
> > single-user mode. I am using non-US version of DES instead of
> > MD5 if that matters...
>
> you need the root password in single user mode?

Well, I have in /etc/ttys

	# If you want to be asked for password,
	# change "secure" to "insecure" here
	console	none	unknown	off insecure

I have also disabled boot from floppy and activated BIOS password to
give better security (I known, one could always open the box...). So
this is not really needed but one of those "nice-to-have" things.

> Are you running NIS?

Yes, this is a NIS client.

I was doing some LKM development and had a pointer error somewhere...
So I rebooted (again). Somehow /var was corrupted and fsck was unable
to repair it. As a result my pc could not go to multi-user mode.
So there I was -- being asked for root's password to enter the
single-user mode (which was not accepted). Which in turn means I
could not run "fsck -y /var" manually. So this was like a
chicken-egg -thing...

The solution was to boot with installation floppy and use the FixIt
floppy, and run fsck. But the question remains: why can't I login?

/Martti