Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:55:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Autoloading Tape Drives

Carol Deihl recently said:
> Brian Scott wrote:

> > Can anyone recommend any autoloading tape drives that they've had
> > success with?  I have about 15 gigs that need backed up nightly.

15GB will fit on singles tapes anymore.

> A variation that you might consider is to do your nightly
> backups to a large disk. Multiple backups from multiple machines
> can run simultaneously, unlike a tape. Then, if you really need
> to save the backups on a tape, you can run the backup disk off
> to a tape during the day, when there is a person available to deal
> with the inevitable problems. Also, it's *much* easier to restore
> from the backup disk than from a tape (speaking from the "oops I
> really didn't intend to delete that file" experience!).

I don't doubt the easier part.  However be aware that you can't
restore from a hard drive to the original if it's in the same
building that just got hit by fire, flood, whatever.

I had one client - who was really quite lucky - that found his
interuption of business insurance would not pay for data
recovery if he didn't have off-site backups.  I'd been pleading
with him for years to do this.  The thought of having to spend
tens of thousands of dollars for data recontruction and having to
pay the bill himself woke him up.  (Money talks!)  Now backups go
off site all the time.

Bill

--
bv@wjv.com