Date:      Mon, 31 May 2004 18:35:52 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: respect CFLAGS: should I override optimizations?

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:31:06AM +0200, Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> I'm updating biology/migrate, the upstream Makefile.in includes
>=20
> CFLAGS =3D @CFLAGS@ ...
>=20
> and configure says:
>=20
> case "$GCC" in
> 	yes) CFLAGS=3D"-O3 -Wall -ffast-math -funroll-loops -fomit-frame-pointer=
 -fexpensive-optimizations -D$CPUTYPE" ;;
> =20
> If I was to take Porter's Hang^Hdbook literally, I would change the
> set (=3D) to append (+=3D) and be done with it, but is that really what
> I'm expected to do?

That's not the intent..usually the port should be built with *only*
the optimizations specified in CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, not CFLAGS overridden
by the software defaults.  Perhaps the porter's handbook is unclear.

If you want to leave the software optimizations as an option, you
could put them under WITH_OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS, which seems to have become
a de facto standard.

Kris

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z

--7AUc2qLy4jB3hD7Z--