Date:      Sat, 31 Jul 1999 13:05:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <van.woerkom@netcologne.de>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3d in 1280x1024

> How the RIVA based cards compare to Matrox ones in the case of 2D
> quality?

Hard to judge, as I don't use the same monitors at home (RIVA) and at
work (G200).

A nice Sony Trinitron or a good LCD display (slow but no distortions)
is something I notice, differences among cards I usually spot only when the
cards are horrible. And the nvidia cards are good enough for me so far.

> All usual references in the 'Net say that RIVA cards have below
> average 2D quality but I haven't tried myself.

Was this not rather due to 3d issues (different MIP mapping or so)?

> graphics card in the near future, but can't decide which one, G400 with
> 32MB or some TNT2 Ultra.

I think you need to see both at the same monitor to decide.

There are arguments pro Matrox (e.g. their openess to release specs)
and Nvidia (I am impressed with them spitting out two new chips each year,
one big jump and and one improved, plus they have that SGI deal now)

Regards,
Marc