Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:47:42 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>, Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please help spread the CVSup mirror load more evenly

Steve Kargl wrote:

> Andre Oppermann wrote:
> > Jesper Skriver wrote:
> > >

> > > You will risk hitting 2 different server in 2 rapid cvsup run's, where
> > > the first may be more up to date than the next, as Jordan wrote earlier
> > > in this thread ...
> >
> > Does it matter? Who cvsup's regulary more than once or twice a day?
> > Committers AFAIK do cvs directly.
> >

> %cvsup
> Damn!  Forgot I don't want src-sys --> Hit ^C.
> %vi ~/supfile    Remove src-sys
> %cvsup
>
> or
>
> %cvsup
> Damn!  Forgot I want to remove sup/src-sys/refuse --> Hit ^C.
> %rm sup/src-sys/refuse
> %cvsup
>
> Yes, I've done both scenarios.

Perhaps an option to CVSup to test a group of servers and render a "rating"
for each, or to choose a "best" one.  Then an intelligent human being could
use this information to occasionally change which cvsup server they use.

Such a tool wouldn't be specific to CVSup, of course, and probably already
exists in benchmarks.  Suggestions?