Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:18:59 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Markus Mueller <casparos@yahoo.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: own OS-Name

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 04:37:34 +0200, Markus Mueller <casparos@yahoo.de> wrote:
> I will create my own *BSD OS based on FreeBSD.  How can I change the
> Name of this OS ?  I mean, that in Logfiles, for example, of servers,
> which I connect by sufing in the web and in application which locate
> the OS instead "FREEBSD" an another OS-Name "MyOS-Name" will be
> displayed.

<tongue-in-cheek-reply>
By editing all the places where the string 'FreeBSD' appears
</tongue-in-cheek-reply>

This sounds a bit like 'stating the obvious', but if you are really
going to create a *new* OS, it's the only valid answer.  The license of
many parts of FreeBSD permits this sort of thing, and there is _nothing_
that can stop you from doing that.

Having said that, what you want to do is a fairly daunting task, and
changing the name is probably going to be the *least* difficult part of
it all, once you grab a copy of the source tree and start hacking on it.

Good luck with your efforts :-)