Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 21:38:47 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Taking control of process

In the last episode (May 15), Lord Raiden said:
> 	Hi.  Silly question, but this thought happened to strike me.
> Say for example someone's shelled into a server from a windows box,
> suddenly windows bites it, but they're running a mission critical
> process that if interrupted perty well will hose the works and the
> whole system.
>
> 	Now, my question is this.  Is there a way to take control of a
> process or terminal session that someone else is running should they
> have to back out so that what's being done isn't stopped in the
> middle?  Or if not, can the command executed via that terminal or ssh
> session at least be allowed to orphan off from the controlling
> terminal session and run on its own till completion?  Like for
> example "make world" or "cvsup"??  Can this be done through another
> ssh session or only from the console?  Thanks for feeding my
> curiosity and I promise not to let it kill me.  :)

You want ports/misc/screen.  It allows you to create a session composed
of multiple windows that can be detached and reattached from another
location (or multiple locations at once for shared viewing).  You can
also tell screen to auto-detach if the parent shell disappears.  It's
one of those invaluable tools everyone should install when setting up a
machine.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com