Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:45:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Skrab <sillybug@pinky.us.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   TurboCom Serial card + FBSD 3.2 ???

Hello,

        I have just come across a 3com Impact IQ ISDN Terminal Adapter for
        my FreeBSD 3.2 box.  Along with this device came a TurboCom 920 high
        speed serial card which has a 16750 UART on it to take full
        advantage of the high data rate delivered by the TA.  Now, here's
        where the problem comes in.  I have the TurboCom card setup to act
        as COM2 (/dev/cuaa1), but whenever I try to use the TA on that port,
        all communications with the modem come back as gibberish on the
        screen when viewed in the term utility of user ppp.  I don't know if
        this has anything to do with it, but FBSD detects the serial port as
        a 16550 UART controlled port.  Is there some sort of special support
        that must be compiled into the kernel for such a device?  BTW, I
        know that the TA works when plugged into the standard serial port on
        the motherboard and with the speed ratcheted back to 115k -- I'm
        using it right now.

        If anyone can provide some information to help get this device
        working, or if you can recommend another serial card, I would very
        much appreciate it.

        Thanks,

	~brian