Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:04:45 +0200
From:      Eduardo Morras <nec556@retena.com>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        doug@safeport.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Boot 8.2 and Windows 7

At 09:08 24/06/2011, you wrote:
>On 24 Jun 2011, at 06:24, doug@safeport.com wrote:
>
> > I installed 8.2 from the DVD ISO. This install overwrote the MBR
> even though I selected not to write a boot record. Using the repair
> disk and/or bootrec does not work.
> >
> > The answer is found in
> http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105541-startup-repair-run-3-separate-times.html.
> >
> > Basically you use diskpart to make sure that only the windows
> partition is marked active and then run the Startup Repair process
> 3 times. This is the only option that worked for me.
>
>I can swear you chose to install a blank (empty) mbr as opposed to
>leaving the current one untouched.

No, i had the same problem on my laptop. It's a known issue in
sysinstall since 6.x version that on some systems, no matter what you
select, it always erase the mbr.

For doug, you can use Hiren's Boot to start Windows. In fact, you can
use it as a hidden partition system, without it, it won't startup.

HTH