Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 17:18:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IT'S FIXED!! Whew! (was:Make Installworld fills up / ...help!)

>Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 19:29:03 -0500
>From: Scott Lambert <lambert@lambertfam.org>

>On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 04:20:56PM -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
>> I wonder if we should consider adding a check to
>> installworld/installkernel to refuse to install on very small /
>> partitions since the failure mode is really ugly (losing files in /bin
>> or /sbin).

>I have a system with and extremely small / partition.  I get around this
>by sitting on another console entering "sync && sync && sync" every few
>seconds.  Would it be possible to check for a small / partition and if
>it is tight, kick off a small script that forces softupdates to flush
>all pending updates every 30 seconds or so?  This would seem to be
>better than just leaving the user out in the cold.

Ummm....  I'm replying somewhat reluctantly, because I sense that this
topic may well engender a less-than-useful exchange of email....

I suggest that if the condition of (near-full / FS) && (soft updates on
/) is true, then it might be a good idea to inform the person trying to
do this that turning off soft updates first would be useful, perhaps
with (a pointer to) instructions on how to do so -- as opposed to doing
a sync-loop.

That said, I run with soft updates on all my file systems; on the other
hand, I have things set up so it's unlikely I'll run short.  (One reason
I run soft updates on all FS is that I tend to set the systems up so
they can boot from various file systems, usually with the capability of
mounting all other FS on the system.  In other words, what is a root FS
for one boot may well not be a root FS on the next.)  Then too, except
when I'm doing a "make installkernel", "make installworld", or
"mergemaster", the root FS tends to be read-only.  (I set up /tmp as a
mount point; although it may well be non-optimal in some respects, I use
an MFS in -STABLE and an md device in -CURRENT for the purpose.)

(Re: the read-only root FS:  I had been in the habit of making both /
and /usr read-only on a firewall system.  When I changed it so I could
use ssh to get into it (since it has no keyboard or monitor), I found
that ssh failed unless the root FS was mounted read-write.)

Anyway:  one other salient matter is that those of us who have had
somewhat more experience with (say) Sun systems before coming to FreeBSD
may well be accustomed to small root FSs.  For example, from my SS5
running Solaris 2.6 (server):

pogo[19] df -k
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0      26679   17705    6307    74%    /

And that is *Solaris* -- I'd show the result from my Sun 3/60 (SunOS
4.1.1_U1), but it finally gave up the ghost almost a year ago.  I *think*
the root FS on that was in the neighborhood of 4 MB.  (The whole disk
was 300 MB.)  Granted, Sun cheats, in that /bin is a symlink to
./usr/bin; still, that's a non-trivial difference, and (from some
perspectives) may well qualify as a bit of a POLA violation.  So perhaps
it would be useful to increase the default root FS size, and document
that you're likely to want more space in / than you might otherwise
expect.

Cheers,
david
I believe it would be irresponsible (and thus, unethical) for me to advise,
recommend, or support the use of any product that is or depends on any
Microsoft product for any purpose other than personal amusement.