Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:36:54 -0800
From:      Joe Rhett <jrhett@svcolo.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: com1 incorrectly associated with ttyd1, com2 with ttyd0

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 03:22:40PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> The BIOS doesn't say "X is disabled", it just doesn't have any resources setup
> for X.

Well, this is where what the BIOS "says" and what the user is led to
expect, are different that what you are arguing for.  And on top of that,
every major OS except for FreeBSD does the right thing (acts like it isn't
there)

Isn't it fairly obvious that no resources setup for a peripheral means
"disabled in BIOS" and it would be best to ignore that resource?

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek