Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:42:01 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        dmaddox@conterra.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Tom Torrance <freebsd@tomqnx.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_3 boot panic

"Donald J . Maddox" wrote:

> Ok.  First, the issue of currency.  As I stated earlier, all this
> discussion is based on a kernel and world built Jan 24:

Meaning, cvsupped on the 23 or earlier 24 (whatever that means in
your TZ... :)? That's probably what Mike means by "out of date",
since the loader was broken for a few hours on that day.

> With this boot.conf, I don't have to change my fstab.  If I remove
> root_disk_unit, the / mount fails unless I change the device to
> /dev/wd1a in fstab.

And this sounds pretty much like the symptoms of said broken loader.

When using -current, "up to date" means "cvsup again".

(On the bright side, you can "cd /sys/boot; make depend all install"
to replace the loader, without making a new world or kernel)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	If you sell your soul to the Devil and all you get is an MCSE from
it, you haven't gotten market rate.