Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 2002 11:48:44 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thanks guys

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:01:08AM -0800, Grant Cooper wrote:
> There are so many different types of UNIX. If freeBSD is so great why won't
> natural selection begin and let some of these Unix flavors die?
>
> Really, wouldn't it be a better world if we had just a couple open source
> OS?

Why ? That's why it's Open-Source, it breaks the monopoly of closed
source. Ok, 20 flavours of Linux and at least 3 of *BSD; well...that's
the way it goes...All OS'es should be Open-Sourced..especially in these
dangerous days ! Mind you I am not sure how many volunteers there would
be who would wish to wade through what is rumoured to be 30 million
lines of code that constitute Windows2000.

> I've been doing some background reading and correct me if I'm wrong. But I
> came across of at least 30 active different open source and commercial Unix
> flavors (and I'm sure that's a drop in the bucket)?
>
> And my last comment is about the commercial Unix flavors. If they cost so
> much - are they more bug free, better support, more people working on it.
> $12, 000 for a licence is alot of money.

Bug-free.. ROFL. Oh No ! HP-UX, Solaris, AIX ... etc. etc. cannot be
described as bug-free my friend. The responsivenes of voluntary effort
to systems like FreeBSD and some (but not all) versions of Linux, would
astonish some IT managers who think if you don't pay it must be
worthless...that is despite FreeBSD's long pedigree and quite well-known
fame for stability.

> Well, I just like to say that I think FreeBSD is great. My first real unix
> experience and I couldn't have done it without the support of the FreeBSD
> lists and free tutorials.

Well I think it's jolly good as well :)

--
Regards