Date:      Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:21:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
To:        steve <steve@digitalbluesky.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Advice on backup scheme for FreeBSD 5.3 box

--0-1182661659-1114010476=:52271

> I have been using FreeBSD 5.3 now for a couple months on a P4 box at home=
 and=20
> I have been backing up the box nightly by doing a simple .tgz of the /etc=
,=20
> /usr/home and /var directories to a FreeBSD backup server at home (the ba=
ckup=20
> server is a PI box).=20
> I=92m at the point now, because I=92m using that FreeBSD box to host emai=
l for=20
> myself and some production/development web pages, in case the box fails I=
=20
> want to be able to quickly either rebuild the contents of that box=92s ha=
rd=20
> drive or move the backup server over to replace it.  It took a few weeks =
to=20
> get the P4 box configured the way I want, so I don=92t think it=92s just =
a simple=20
> matter of popping in the 5.3 install disk and re-installing.=20
> So I=92m trying to figure out a scheme to avoid more than a couple hours =
of=20
> downtime.=20
> I should note that in a few weeks I=92ll be replacing the current PI back=
up=20
> server with a PIII box.=20
> My home network consists of a linksys router with a couple workstations=
=20
> attached and the above mentioned web and backup servers.  The web and bac=
kup=20
> servers do not have cd burners, however I could transfer files to one of =
the=20
> workstations to burn backup disks.=20
> I would like to know in general some approaches I could take to create ei=
ther=20
> some redundancy in my network at home with the two FreeBSD servers I have=
=20
> (each has different hardware specs) or more effectively back up the FreeB=
SD=20
> box doing the email/web hosting for myself.  I would consider myself a=20
> moderately competent amateur system admin.  I don=92t work in the IT indu=
stry=20
> and I have zero knowledge of things like mirroring boxes or using=20
> applications like rsync so I=92m looking for a guidance on a =93simple=94=
 solution.=20
> Thank you much in advance.

I'm not sure this would work for you, but it works for me for our dev=20
servers at work where we need to get a standard box to a specific state=20
fairly often.

Install two drives in the server.  Drive A is your primary every day=20
drive.  Drive B is big enough to hold both a minimal FreeBSD installation=
=20
*and* the entire contents of Drive A.

Configure the server to allow you to selectively boot either drive, but=20
default it to Drive A.

Then, whenever you want to make a backup, boot into Drive B and dump the=20
entire contents of Drive A to disk.  Something like:

dump 0af drivea.dump /dev/ad0s1a

For our dev servers we only have one partition, but you'd want to make=20
sure you grabbed each partition separately.

Then if you ever want to restore you can boot into Drive B,=20
disklabel,newfs Drive A, and use restore to put everything back just the=20
way it was.

Probably worth saving a copy of Drive A's disklabel while your doing=20
things as well.

--0-1182661659-1114010476=:52271--