Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 2008 13:37:41 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel upgrades

--------------enig484A4338A4EAF390B85FFC85

Joe Tseng wrote:
> I'm still new to FreeBSD (coming from CentOS/Ubuntu) so this might be
> something totally obvious to others...  I know I can update ports by us=
ing
> portsnap fetch/extract/update - does this update the kernel source as w=
ell?

No, you need to do two things:

1) copy /usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile somewhere, and edit
it to fetch the right version of the sources from the right server. If
you want to get exactly the version you have installed, you only need to
change the server. Look for the line starting with "*default host=3D" and=

find a host near you from this page:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/cvsup.html
2) run "csup your-supfile" - this will fetch kernel and base system
sources (note that utilities like "ls", "top", "sendmail" etc. are not
ports in FreeBSD; also note that the cvsup client integrated into the
base system in all recent versions of FreeBSD is "csup" not "cvsup".

> How do I apply this new code?

Read here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html and
here:http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/makeworld.html

In short:

# cd /usr/src
# make buildworld && make kernel && make installworld && mergemaster -U
&& reboot