Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:25:14 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Richard Martin <dmartin@origenbio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: natd: no translation

> I am setting up a firewall with natd on my FreeBSD system, and for some reason
> it does not seem to be translating the local LAN addresses in outbound
> packets.
>
> FreeBSD router w/ two NIC cards:
> Internet card xl0 - 216.30.xx
> Local network vx0 - 192.168.0.x
>
> natd is running on xl0
>
> I can generally access the outside world OK from the LAN, but certain services
> (DNS and PCanywhere requests, among others) receive packets back addressed to
> the LAN.  These hit one of the first rules on the firewall, deny any destined
> for 192.168 networks.
>
> I have tried running natd with the -n flag and the -a [ip address] flag but
> still get packets back on the external iface addressed to the 192.168
> addresses.
>
> Anyone run into this before?

Bear in mind that the divert rule results in the packets being
translated to use local addresses for inbound and real addresses for
outbound.  You probably want a set of ipfw rules that go along the
lines

  ipfw local blah out
  ipfw dodge spoofs in
  ipfw remote blah in
  ipfw divert
  ipfw local blah in
  ipfw remote blah out

Where ``local blah'' deals with specifics about local network
addresses and ``remote blah'' deals with specifics about external
addresses.  ``dodge spoofs'' deals with external traffic trying to
spoof internal IP numbers.

<disclaimer>
I don't use natd or ipfw at the moment
</disclaimer>