Date:      03 Jul 2000 18:42:12 +0200
From:      Samuel Tardieu <sam@inf.enst.fr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPsec tunnels with dynamic addresses

The current situation: I have some machines with static IP addresses,
and some other ones with dynamic IP addresses, permanently connected
or not.

What I would like: establish IPsec tunnels between a machine with a
static IP and a machine with a dynamic one.

The former solution I used: pipsecd, written by Pierre Beyssac, allows
you to configure IPsec tunnels without having an IPsec stack in your
kernel. These tunnels can have dynamic addresses: when an IPsec packet
enters the machine with a static IP and has the right signature, this
changes the tunnel dynamic end to be the machine that sent the
packet. That means that sending a single packet from a new IP address
was enough to reconfigure the whole tunnel.

Is that doable with the current IPsec kernel implementation? Can we
dynamically change security policies so that a new tunnel is created
when some a packet with the right SPI is received?

How can one intercept IPsec packet, since they are not tagged IPsec
anymore when they arrive in userland?

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@inf.enst.fr