Date:      Sat, 26 Dec 1998 17:11:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
To:        Dennis Favro <scqdaf@globalserve.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Free Solaris

>   Ok, I've had some time to muck about with FreeBSD and its been
> going pretty well.  So now I've notice this free Solaris program
> offered by Sun and I'm wondering if its worth trying.

I found that a few months back, and ordered the cd set. Its interesting,
but I don't like it to much. It uses CDE, which looks great, and its
almost on par with the windows interface, but the tools aren't very
useful to me. It didn't seem very great as a home OS, nice but lacking
all the features FreeBSD/Linux offer. That was 2.6, and 7.0 is out (not
sure if its i386 yet). If you can, wait for 7.0 which is really 3.0, but
they wanted to sound impressive or something. BTW, make sure you have all
name-brand stuff because it has very few drivers. Also, I had trouble
getting a multi-boot setup (don't like its boot-manager), and be careful
with the filesystem because if you ever run linux, it thinks Solaris is a
swap partition.

>   I'm curious, but is Solaris a difficult thing to use?  Or would it
> be easier to learn and a nice way to get into UNIX?

At first it seems easy and great, but then since it seems to lack
features for the home-user (meant for network server afterall). I don't
think its worth fussing over, except I love the interface!