Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 1999 23:22:24 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

In message <199912102215.RAA24287@lor.watermarkgroup.com>, Luoqi Chen writes:

>This discussion is not going anywhere. Why can't everyone calm down and
>find a comprise? Here's my proposal:
>
>1. leave the the code and config option in the source tree for now
>2. remove all traces of wd in documentation/GENERIC/LINT/MAKEDEV
>
>that is, anyone who wants to use the wd driver still can, but it is officially
>unsupported.

This fails the most important criteria for the transistion to ATA:
it doesn't break existing kernel configs.

Listen guys, this is a tempest in a tea-cup, we are not loosing any
functionality here, we are gaining functionality.

The wd driver doesn't have anything to recommend it on the i386
platform and we need to switch to ATA.

This is *CURRENT* remember ?  We want this transistion done and
tested before current becomes 4.0-RELEASE.  The time is NOW!

If we don't force people over to the ata driver it will not get
tested as much as it needs to.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!