Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 09:13:49 -0400
From:      Michael Zink <mzink@antd.nist.gov>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, matt@3am-software.com, shah@nist.gov
Subject:   Priblems with de0 and multicast

I have a problem with de0 driver and multicasting under FreeBSD ( I am
using the SNAP release 3.0-980311).
One de0 NIC works fine in a host. But if there are two ore more NICs
(de0) in a router, multicasting is not working correctly anymore.
In this particular case I have a Pentuim PC with two de0 interfaces. One
of the interfaces is working fine. The other one is not transmitting any
multicast messages at all (either signaling or data). After I use
tcpdump (which turns the interface into promiscuous) I also receive
multicast messages on this interface. Since erverything is working fine
with two 3COM NICs in the PC it shouldn't be a problem caused by
mrouted.
For me it looks more like a problem in the de0 driver.
Has anyone had similar experiences or knows a solution for this problem
?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Michael Zink mzink@snad.ncsl.nist.gov
Phone: 301-975-5174
Fax  : 301-590-0932
NIST        Bldg 820 Room 455         Gaithersburg MD 20899